Old 28-06-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default The ultimate mower for slopes

beecrofter wrote:
I am finding moving metal by peining even on the Austrian made blades
to require quite a heavy hand.
Of course we are talking very blunt akin to " it was in my grandpa's
shed and I'd like to have it sharpened" condition.

All in all it's nothing compared to what people manage to do to a two
man saw, they can easily swallow up a half day of labor.

I don't know. It sounds wrong.

Try just hammering the very edge. You ought to be able to produce
stray ``tabs'' of metal occasionally, if it's the soft steel that
peening is going to work on. (These tabs come off pretty fast when
you use the scythe to cut, but they really make it cut nicely while
they're there. I use the production of tabs as a gauge of peening
correctly, say rather than only hitting the metal too far from the
edge. It's about the only visible sign that you're hitting the edge
occasionally.)

Peening is explained as forcing thick metal down towards the (new)
edge as thinned metal, like some kind of clay being squeezed by the
process. But it will not work on hardened steel.

Also are you using a bar-peen hammer? (Like a ball peen, but with
the ball shape replaced by a bar shape, so that the same forcing
happens over a short length of the edge rather than at a point where
the ball hits.)
--
Ron Hardin