Old 28-06-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J Tom  J is offline

Default bringing a dogwood back from its death bed

sweetft5 wrote:

trunk. I have now planted it back in the yard and it is doing great,
although it now looks like a small shrub. My question is should I
cut
all of the branches off except one (the highest one?) that will
become
the new trunk or do I just let it grow as is? I am not sure if the
main trunk will gain height with it being severed and all. Thanks
for
any advice.

I'd just let it all grow until early next spring. That's when I would
select the most upright branch to be the trunk and remove the rest.
OR, leave it as it is and as it grows taller it will shed the lower
limbs on it's own. I have some that are branched at 3 feet up and
others that are branched at 15 and 20 feet up. It depends on where
they are in the forest cover.

Tom J