Old 28-06-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graeme...in London Graeme...in London is offline

Default Apple Tree Question

First post to the group, so I apologise if this has been spoken about
before.

I have in my garden an apple tree that measures about 12 foot tall. It has
green apples (not sure of variety). This year, as last, it is teeming with
fruit, so much so that the branches are buckling with the sheer weight.

OK, I understand that growers train their trees along supports. What can I
do, other than remove some of the apples, to help alleviate the weight on
the branches.

I'm currently propping up the lower branches with pieces of scaffold board,
which looks unsightly.

Any tips are welcomed.

Graeme