Old 28-06-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default My fish are dying - please help

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:15:50 CST, ~ jan wrote:

This is just a fyi....

KH (buffering) is actually more important than pH, since fish can handle pH
of 6.5-8.5 (probably even slightly higher or lower), but if the pH is
swinging due to low buffering, you can have serious problems. Not only are
all those things hard on the fish, but even the bacteria, in the filter on
pond surfaces, etc., processing the waste do not work as effectively.

Thanks, Jan!

Latest info is leave the pH alone, keep the buffering solid. The bad thing
about a high pH is it can make plants fail to thrive. ~ jan

How high is too high for pH and plant growth. Today I have pH of 7.8
and yellow parrot feather, the water hyacinth I threw in last week
isn't a picture of health either.

Regards,

Hal