Old 28-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Potato blight - degree of urgency?

"judith.lea wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

My understanding is that you need to get the blighted tops off asap
before
it's carried down to the tubers. You can then leave the tubers in the
ground
for a couple of weeks.

Bob, is there something else that can be sprayed on which will stop it
developing? I'm sure my Dad used to spray his with something???

Once the plant is infected I don't know of anything that cures it. There are
a couple of preventative sprays, Dithane and the old favourite Bordeaux
Mixture which I use on my Toms but they need to be reapplied after heavy
rain (joke!). No sign of any blight on our potatoes or our Tomatoes so far
but I don't hold out much hope for an outside tomato crop this year even
with growing some "Ferline" (blight resistant). Perhaps I'll cover the row
with bubble wrap, like a tent, to keep the rain off. I'll have to cost it
out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden