Old 28-06-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default anybody with pH over 7.8 got floating plants?

"Hal" wrote in message
My pH is 7.8, my parrot feather is yellow and I have one group of
water hyacinth in the pond and they don't look great either. I
haven't tried the potash this year, but it is only good for replacing
potash, and it is my understanding has nothing to do with pH. OK,
I'll try the potash too. As soon as I send this and tear myself away
from the chair.

Try the potash. You have nothing to lose. With a high PH your Iron may be
tied up. The plants will look chlorotic or pale. I was told this on
another Forum years ago. I use Ironite in the pots of potted plants now and
that seems to have cure the problem. It leeches from the pots. I got the
bag of Ironite at Home Depot. I use 2 Tbs per potted plant mixed with the
fine gravel or soil.

What is your pH and what kind of filter plants (Not potted.) do you
have that are green and growing?

The only floaters I have are water lettuce and a few water hyacinths. The
parrots feather is rooted in the other plants pots. There are no more than
a couple of duckweed floating in the ponds where the fish can't reach them.

I'm not against trying another plant
as a filter plant, I've just had good luck with water hyacinths most
years, but some years they don't grow in my pond.

Usually duckweed grows like wild in the fishless tubs. This year it started
out great and now is barely hanging on. I tried several garden fertilizers
along with waste pond water but they didn't respond.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.