Old 29-06-2007, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Just harvested first of 3 potato buckets......

In message . com, Peter
C writes
On 28 Jun, 19:17, Alan wrote:
In message , Nel
wrote

Any idea where we might have gone wrong?

Buying anything from QVC.

They are either well over priced, the quality isn't all it should be or
they are selling 'old stock'.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Some months ago I planted a couple of potatoes in a large container,
these were not over priced 'seed potoaoes' but ones that you buy in a
supermarket and had started to sprout.
This week I decided to have a look at them and found a good crop. I
did not weigh them but we had 3 good meals from them. I kept up to
watering and adding soil when they were growing
My question is,
1. Is there any advantage in purchasing 'seed spuds?'
2.Is it now too late to plant'supermarket spuds' to harvest later in
the year?
Petyer.

Seed spuds are less likely to be infected with various pests (e.g.
aphid-borne viruses) than culinary spuds, and in principle can be
expected to crop better.

OTOH, I've grown crops from both, and the best crop was from supermarket
'Nadine' potatoes, and some crops grown from seed spuds in an earlier
year more or less failed completely. (The latter got frosted in April,
and never recovered properly.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley