Old 29-06-2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nick Cramer[_2_] Nick Cramer[_2_] is offline

Default Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph
8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep
mine at 7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've
had no problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild!
Algae is a fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is that the Ph of London municipal water? Sounds like seawater to
me. What's your salinity?

LOL No idea

No offense intended about the drinking water in London. You can get a
hydrometer pretty cheaply at a pet supply shop and find out. Make sure
you get one with as wide a range as possible. Or better yet, just ask
your water authority what it is supposed to be.

I've used pH rolls for decades, for various things. One source is

http://catalog.miniscience.com/catal...s/Default.html

Thanks, Nick. That will work great for determining the salinity! (note
sarcasm) lol

You're welcome, Gearge. Please note regarding the other suggestion of a
hydrometer that a hydrometer is an instrument used for determining the
specific gravity of liquids, without regard to the substance that varies it
from 1.0000, whether battery acid, alcohol, sugar, salt, etc. (Note lack of
sarcasm - I find yours rather disappointing)

~Semper Fi~