Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Jan Flora

Default Starting a raspberry patch?

I want to put a raspberry patch in. A friend has a *big* patch,
and he's old, so I'll go help him prune. (That means he'll stand
there and tell me what to do, which is fine. It's a chance to visit
with him. *g*)

So these are red raspberry plants. I don't know if they'd be
called summer or fall-producers, and have no idea what variety
they are, i.e. the name. I don't know if this is a hint or not, but
Grumpy John's plants get almost 6' tall.

The question is: how to I root the cuttings? How are the existing
plants pruned? (Do they fruit on new wood or year-old wood?)

As you can tell, I'm without a clue here, and could use any and
all advice. Raspberries do really well in this area.

TIA,
Jan
USDA zone 3