Old 29-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default anybody with pH over 7.8 got floating plants?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:39:42 CST, ~ jan wrote:

I'll be interested in answers. Currently I'm at 7.8 in both the koi ponds &
a little stock tank. The koi pond ones in full sun, aren't doing well, yet
the stock tank ones w/morning only sun, are a bit better. The Lily Pond, at
8.2, are really sad. :-( But I haven't been able to grow WH for years.
Used to be it would grow out of the prefilter and totally hide it. ~ jan

I don't understand what is happening with WH either. Some years ago
when I started ponding a friend, George, told me he had tried, but
couldn't grow them. He had a pond filter that was big, in stages, a
sweeper pump that kept the bottom swept to the filter and his water
never greened. It stayed gin clear. He also had a large fish load.
I believe it was 10 full grown males in about 800 gallons plus filter.
That was the first time I thought perhaps there wasn't enough nitrogen
in a pond to support water hyacinths. The though has occurred to me
concerning my pond, but what does the algae live on?? Irritating
ain't it??

Regards,

Hal