Old 29-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default anybody with pH over 7.8 got floating plants?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:39:09 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

Hi Hal,

As mentioned my pH is over 8. I grow water hyacinth and parrots feather both
of which thrive in my pond. The only problem I have is my hyacinth doesn't
too thrilled about blooming. Nitrogen is typically what "greens" things up.
Try taking them out of the pond and place them in a container with
fertilizer to see if that helps.

Thanks Joe, I'm glad to hear they grow well for you in a higher pH
than I have. Now I'm still looking for the reason they don't grow
well in my pond. I have a good fish load, my filter is barely
keeping up and I don't know......

They grow wild with plenty of fertilizer, but that doesn't do the pond
nutrient level any good. I've played musical containers, switching
them to fertilizer then back to the pond, that just tells me they grow
well in fertilized water and not in my pond. I'd pull my hair in
frustration, but I don't have enough left to lose any.

I have some in a half barrel that have grown into a large bouquet and
today they are blooming sporadically, you know a couple here and
there, but they make such a sight this is my second year doing this.

Regards,

Hal