Old 29-06-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Me Me is offline

Default Brown furry Algae on the bottom of my pond

We moved in to a new house about a year ago and I have been trying to
rehab the koi pond after years of neglect.

So far so good. We have a nice assortment of plants that are thriving
and after trying out some tester fish I have some Koi that are getting
bigger. I have a small stringy algae problem but I am taking care of
that.

I have been using Laguna Phosphate Control, Algaefix and some other
stuff that adds 'bio-mass' (I can't remember the name but it is a dry
flake that looks like bran and you mix it with pond water before
pouring it in)

The pond only has a pump and no filter. The water is clear but the
bottom liner and pump is starting to get covered with a brown furry
algae. The fish don't mind and seem to like to eat it. I don't mind
as long as it stays at it's current level. Any idea if I can control
this with chemicals or something. Is this from the bio-mass stuff?

Sorry to be so vague but I am new to all this pond care. I really
enjoy having the pond around and the kid love it ( and the frogs and
the snakes). I don't want to spend the money on a filter right now so
I hope there is some other way to take care of this. Maybe it is OK
to leave it but I don't know.

Thanks for any info,

A.S.