Old 29-06-2007, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Garden centre - Seed packets rant!

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are you going to tell us which the second was?

Mary

I didn't mention specific names as the garden centres in question are
French,

Ah, I see, thanks.

though I've had similar problems in the past in the UK. At "Pointe Verte"
every seed packet had a clear month grid on the front so it was a doddle
browsing for what I can sow now. I didn't even need to take them off the
shelf to determine if they were suitable. It is very frustrating pulling
seed packets off the racks, one after another, reading the back and wading
through the French equivalent of "blah blah blah sow March to April blah
blah blah". Grrr!

It would be.

While I'm in ranting mood, the other thing that rattles my cage is items
with no prices on them.

I thought that was illegal according to the EU. I could be wrong, it has
been known ;-)

Many garden centres are sloppy or hap-hazard in this respect. If a plant
really interests me then I'll track down a member of staff or take the
plant to the cash desk to find out. However, if the plant is only of "half
interest" i.e. a possible impulse buy, then no price tag usually means no
sale as it is usually too much trouble to find out the price.

Yes.

And another thing... (going for it today)... why do some garden centres
still leave dead plants on display?

I've never seen any - but I've never been to a French plant centre. Or a
French anything, come to that.

It doesn't inspire confidence. It is one thing putting up plants for
discount sale which have finished flowering for this season or past their
best or which are just in need of a little TLC, repotting etc. But leaving
dead plants on sale is another thing.
I often joke to Mrs that some garden centres need a big sign saying "Dead
plants - Half price!"

You should suggest that they offer them free.

David. Feeling much better now! :-)

Good :-)

Mary