Old 30-06-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default aspidistra

Bob Hobden wrote:

We have one, well it's more than one now, that has been in Sue's family for
probably 150 years. I find if they are repotted into JI No.3 or even a
multipurpose they burst into life. Most of our one is now outside in our
garden where it is doing well planted in semi shade underneath trees, been
outside for some years now. Yet another large clump is in a neighbours
garden in a similar position.

For a 'pot plant', Aspidistra elatior makes a remarkably good garden
plant as well. I have a clump that must be 40 years old and has
followed me around since I was in my teens. It can tolerate a fair
degree of prolonged cold if grown in shade or semi-shade and grows far
better outside the confines of pots filled with degenerated, years-old
potting compost. In half decent garden soil it flourishes with a
degree of luxuriance rarely exhibited by those dusty, tired old things
indoors and can look quite magnificent if planted in association with
ferns such as the hardier maiden-hairs. The only drawback is that the
older leaves provide a perfect launchpad for snails while they await
the arrival of new leaves, which are then attacked with great
enthusiasm.

If Aspidistra is to remain indoors, the old compost should be gently
shaken from the roots and replaced with fresh every 3 - 4 years. The
root system is not extensive nor particularly delicate so you can
shake in the new compost with relative ease. A loam based compost
such as John Innes no 2 or 3, lightened with additional perlite or
coarse horticultural sand (incorporate about 10% by volume) is best.
Multi-purpose composts deteriorate very badly after several months and
are less than useless for long-lived plants. While it is true that
Aspidistras appear to grow in almost any old rubbish, that does not
mean you should abuse such tolerance. Give them decent treatment and
monthly applications of a well balanced liquid fertiliser and they
will produce plenty of large, glossy leaves every year.