Old 30-06-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Plant ID (with a difference!)

JennyC writes

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
.. .
I feel a bit silly asking, but can anyone tell me what seeds I've bought
(in English)?
I don't know what these vegetables are. The sowing and cultivation
instructions seem simple enough, but I don't actually recognise what these
veg are let alone how to cook or prepare them after they've grown?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/HPIM5546a.JPG

David.

Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cabbage
Good as a stir fry or steamed. Can also be used to wrap around filling
rice/meat/fish)

I think Stewart was right with Chard - the picture is absolutely right
for Swiss Chard.

The green of the leaves need less cooking than the thick white stems, so
best to treat them separately. Green - rinse, put in pan with no extra
water, very low heat for a few minutes. Stems - shop, lightly cook as
any other green veg.
--
Kay