Old 31-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Paul Simon

Default Ladybugs for Mealie control

If you use "chicken wire", be sure to get "aviary wire", as the mesh is only
1/2 inch. We have gophers and they get through the 1 chicken wire stuff.

Paul
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:18:17 -0500, "Ted Byers"
wrote:

be left by an animal the size of a cat or small dog. Maybe I'll see if I
can manage it by building something like a cold frame around the bed, or
perhaps a wire cage that can be assembled and put in place in the late
automn and then removed and stored just after the spring thaw.

way to keep herbivores out of my garden. I wonder how effective
fritillaries are at keeping mammalian pests away. A colleague of mine,

at
work, told me that nothing he has tried in his garden has been effective.

Cheers,

Ted

Sounds like you have squirrels who need a little snack to keep
going in the spring. Although Rabbits, mice and chipmunks are
also good candidates. The only way I have heard of protecting
new growth is to cage it in chicken wire.. but you have to did it
down in and extend it 8-10" above the soil line. So sometimes it
is easier to use traps and perimeter fencing that is 10" tall to
discourage them.
SuE