Old 31-03-2003, 08:20 AM
burl

Default Deer fence

Hi Kay,

I did some reading tonight and it turns out that there are a couple of
products out there. Blood Meal is supposed to work because deer are
vegetarians and the smell should deter them. The Deer, Rabbit and Squirrel
Repellent at http://www.emerysgardenstore.com/pest-control.html is a more
complete solution and is built on the same premise. This product is also
designed to be used on organically grown crops.

Other people mentioned electric fencing. Speaking from personal experience
That's a good idea - I got tangled up in one when I was 4 and I never did
that again!!

Some other ideas that I read about we
Spread human hair around perimeter of area
Avoid planting plants that deer prefer
Take advantage of plants deer don't like
Incorporate garden designs that discourage deer
Use predator scents around area to be protected i.e. bobcat, coyote, and fox
urine
Erect fencing 8-10 ft tall preferably electrified to protect large areas
Use netting to cover plants and shrubs near houses
Wrap tree trunks to protect them
Use mechanical systems or devices using light or sound to scare deer

Nobody mentioned getting yourself a pet but a dog in the area would probably
make them more wary of your yard as well.

Good luck,
Burl

Safe and Natural Gardening
http://www.emerysgardenstore.com