Old 30-06-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Algae in corners of pond

places near coastlines or big salt deposits often have salt water
intrusion into their ground water. even rain and snow off oceans
contain a bit of trapped salts.

by salts I mean NaCl rather than the salts of other compounds. If the
salt concentration is too high, the water tastes lousy nobody will
drink it. some places are so alkaline that the water is nearly
undrinkable, and enough magnesium to give non residents diarrhea.
Ingrid

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:27:28 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

LOL - I've been dying to ask that question every since I saw the
question of salinity raised in this thread......and BTW I do have a
hydrometer and have checked the tap water (zero of course) but only out
of idle curiousity after checking my marine tanks....

Gill