Old 30-06-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatillo question

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience growing tomatillos? I've read about
them, and everything I read says they grow from 3-4 feet tall. Problem:
Mine are already 3 feet tall and just exploding, I can't believe how fast
they are growing! They are bigger then my tomatoes, and I planted them at
the same time. At this rate, they will easily hit 6+ feet by the end of
summer.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm building tellises for my tomatoes, and
I'm making them 7.5 feet tall (because last year they outgrew the 5 foot
fence and the weight of the plants knocked it over. I'm wondering if I
should go ahead and make the tomatillo trellis the same size - I probably
will since I'm mass producing the tomatoe trellises. But I'd like to hear
from anyone who has grown tomatillos.

And tonight I'll post pics of my tomatillo infestation. OMG, I have
thousands of them growing wild, and some of the volunteer ones are 2 feet
tall and growing fast, it breaks my heart to pull them out. They make good
weed control, because there are no weeds in my garden that can keep up
with the wild tomatillos.

First of all, any time you see size numbers for plants, they are rough
guidelines. I bought two lovage plants last year. Mine grows to six feet
tall. I gave the other one to a friend and in her garden, also in full sun,
hers grows three feet tall. There are lots of reasons why, none worth
worrying about. Be happy that the plants are happy.

Now: Take a look at the tomato cage pictures at the link below. Trellises
smellises. Any self-respecting tomato plant will destroy a trellis,
especially when thunderstorms include major wind.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ancientangler/