Old 30-06-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default don't you just love frogs in the garden!?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"rachael simpson" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Late yesterday afternoon, I was out checking the garden & flowers before
a storm came. Had boo-coodles of peppers, picked 2 to go along with
supper, and came in. All we had was a lightening storm by the way, once
again, no rain. This morning I go out, cut some collards, pick some
crook-neck squash, cucumbers, and dig a few pototoes. Go around to pick
my peppers, and guess what?? None, no peppers to be seen at all. What
else do I find? 3 toad homes. Now last year, one night I caught a frog
eating my peppers. Guess it came back this year and brought some friends
for a "pepper" party. Oh well, so much for hot pepper with my
collards..............
Frogs eat hot peppers??? How do they reach them? Are your plants laying
on the ground?

I wasn't just talking hot peppers, the bell peppers too. No, they are
not laying on the ground. The plants are short and the peppers are
hanging down towards the ground. They eat the ends off, like deer and
rabbits. I'm not talking tree frogs, it's toads and bull frogs. They are
big enough to reach plants you know

Sounds like it's time to surround the plants with something uncomfortable,
like a thin piece of wood with the business ends of some staples facing
straight up. I don't mind sharing some of the crop, but when the wild
kingdom gets out of hand, drastic measures are called for. Now, time to go
see if the squirrels have had enough strawberries. They're caged, but I
leave about 10% of the patch uncovered, just to keep the lawn rats from
complaining.

ha-ha, alright, i get it, you don't believe me........why don't you just
say so? I'll see about getting pics of the frogs and pepper plants
after supper.........although, I did kill one frog........cooking a side
of frog legs with supper.