Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Lycopene in tomatoes

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2tmmm9

First 3 'graphs:

=================

Eating your vegetables just got a whole lot healthier. An Israeli
company has just created a new tasty tomato that is high in natural
antioxidants that can help treat and prevent disease.

Naturally bred to include high amounts of the compound lycopene,
previously available only as a dietary supplement, the
Israeli-developed Lyc-O-Mato brand self-dried cherry tomato raisin
will now be available as a food additive.

Lycopene is a nutrient and antioxidant that is naturally occurring in
small quantities in vegetables such as tomatoes. It has been suggested
that it can help treat cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes,
osteoporosis, and even male infertility. It is also useful in
supporting skin health.

Ethnic cleansing aside, it's a shame that Persephone just presented us
with advertising copy (see site above). It appears that Israeli
advertising is just as misleading as American advertising. The phrase
"can help treat and prevent disease" is just the kind of pharmacological
representation that the FDA has been fighting with food supplements for
years. It sounds good but means nothing and, no proof will be offered.
Turns out lycopene is more available when the tomatoes are cooked into a
sauce.

See: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/15

Misrepresentation of lycopene concentrations found in foods.

See: http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/vkb/lycopene.htm

Oh, Charlie, if your there. I need to work on my green beans a little
more. I usually screw things up the first couple of times and the green
beans were no exception. I served them with Brazilian black beans and
rice (see below), which uses oranges. I thought it would be nice to have
orange and lemon flavors on the same plate. I guess I over "lemoned" the
beans. The criticism I got was that the "Lovey-poo" couldn't taste the
beans. Next time I'll try to mute the lemon by not using any of the
zest. I'll get it right eventually.

I only used a couple of oranges for this recipe. It still came out
pretty orangey:-) I did use some segments as garnish.

Brazilian-Style Black Beans and Rice

Serving Size : 8
Beans Citrus
ham Oranges
Raisin Rice

1 Lb Dried Black Beans -- soaked and drained
1 Ham Bone
2 Quarts Water
1 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
2 Clove Garlic -- lightly crushed
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsps Salt
1/4 cup Raisins
8 Oranges
2 cup Rice -- cooked

Combine the beans, bones, water, mustard seed, oregano, garlic, and
oregano in a large pot. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat 3-4 hours
or until the beans are soft, stirring occasionally.

Remove the bay leaves and the ham bone. Use a stick blender to puree
some of the beans, leaving most of the beans whole.

Remove any meat from the ham bone and add it back to the beans.

Add the raisins.

Let cook again over low heat another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15
minutes or so to prevent sticking.

Wash the oranges carefully and remove the zest in long thin strips.
Then peel the oranges and remove the segments. Squeeze the juice from
the segmented oranges over the segments.

Immediately before serving, top the hot cooked rice with the beans.
Sprinkle all the zest over the beans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 480 Calories; 4g Fat (7.6%
calories from
fat); 20g Protein; 92g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 13mg
Cholesterol; 1620mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit;
1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve the beans and rice with the orange segments.
--
Billy