Old 01-07-2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Tomatillo question

Ook wrote:
I make cooked green sauce, which we all like very much. My son inhales it by
the gallon (or so it seems g). I also use them in fresh salsa. You can use
them to replace part or all of the tomatoe in many salsa recipes, or just to
supplement it. I have taken 3 parts tomatillos, 1 part onion, 1 small
jalapeno, small handful of fresh cilantro, a sprinkle of salt, and a squirt
of lime juice. Chop it up, stir. Best dang fresh green salsa you've hever
had. Eat with tortillo chips, slop it over beans or eggs or many other
dishes. Nuuuuummmm.... This year I'm growing more of them (not on
purpose), and I'm going to try to make some tomatillo jam.

As for growing them, I grow them just like tomatoes, and alongside my
tomatoes. They need staking as they will fall over otherwise.
The only thing I would suggest is to not let them drop their fruit on the
ground. I did that last fall, and now I have literally thousands of
volunteers growing all over my garden. I'll post some pics later tonight, I
still have 2 trellises to go, then need to trim and tie the toms and
tomatillos, mow the grass, finish watering, move the playset we are trying
to get painted....it never ends...

"betsyb" wrote in message
Been reading all about your crops of tomatillos. What else besides Green
Salsa do you make with them? I have some coming next month from TX. and
have noi idea what to do with them. I know about the salsa and would like
to plant some but never saw one, where would I look to propogate the
lefotvers?

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience growing tomatillos? I've read about
them, and everything I read says they grow from 3-4 feet tall. Problem:
Mine are already 3 feet tall and just exploding, I can't believe how fast
they are growing! They are bigger then my tomatoes, and I planted them at
the same time. At this rate, they will easily hit 6+ feet by the end of
summer.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm building tellises for my tomatoes, and
I'm making them 7.5 feet tall (because last year they outgrew the 5 foot
fence and the weight of the plants knocked it over. I'm wondering if I
should go ahead and make the tomatillo trellis the same size - I probably
will since I'm mass producing the tomatoe trellises. But I'd like to hear
from anyone who has grown tomatillos.

And tonight I'll post pics of my tomatillo infestation. OMG, I have
thousands of them growing wild, and some of the volunteer ones are 2 feet
tall and growing fast, it breaks my heart to pull them out. They make
good weed control, because there are no weeds in my garden that can keep
up with the wild tomatillos.

One important difference from tomatoes: tomatillos are self-sterile.
You have to plant at least 2 to get any fruit.

I have 3 volunteer tomatillos that I dug up and transplanted into big
tomato cages. They are about 2 feet tall and blooming now. I didn't
grow tomatillos last year, but i grew them 2 years ago.

Bob