Old 31-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Garden that floods

In article ,
"Sue & Bob Hobden" writes:

| Yes, that would like this garden but I just suspect that it might grow too
| well in this situation Natalie and take over, worth a try but would need a
| careful watch for a while to ensure it didn't turn into a thug.
| I'm wondering about various species/varieties of Primula and Fritillaria,
| would they take a soaking?

A soaking, yes - that amount of one, I would be less certain. If
you look at the habitats where they grow naturally, they are often
wet, but I don't associate them with flood plains. I could be
wrong. At least in the case of F. meleagris, I would expect it to
be unconcerned about flooding in autumn or winter, but less happy
with extended flooding in spring.

Upon rechecking, I was wrong about dogwoods - only SOME are adapted
to growing in flood plains. But most willows are, as is Taxodium.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.