Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Tomatillo question

One important difference from tomatoes: tomatillos are self-sterile. You
have to plant at least 2 to get any fruit.

Seriously? It can fertilize the plant next to it, but not itself?
Huh...learn something new every day

I have 3 volunteer tomatillos that I dug up and transplanted into big
tomato cages. They are about 2 feet tall and blooming now. I didn't grow
tomatillos last year, but i grew them 2 years ago.

Mine are 2-3 feet tall now, and started blooming at about 2 feet in height.
At 6 inches you can see little buds. If anyone is interested, here are some
pics of my humble weed and tomatillo infested garden, including my first try
at homebuilt tomatoe trellises. If you look closely, you can see the
volunteer tomatillos in many of the pictures.

FWIW - I made the trellises out of 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 8' wood. The tags on the
wood call them 1X2. Huh - HTH do you get 1 X 2 out of 3/4 X 1.5?