Old 01-07-2007, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default How do you put on bird netting over fruit trees?

One question might be how big a net are you erecting? My nets were rather
large,
about 30 feet square. If you are putting up small nets, I agree it should not
take a
full day.

Sherwin

The Ranger wrote:

sherwindu wrote in message
The Ranger wrote:
sherwindu wrote in message

[..] It took a full day to put it up and another to take
it down.

It took you a full day to put up and take down netting?
Why? It shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes with
assistance from any able-bodied adult.

I thought I made it clear that this was not a simple thing
of throwing a net over a tree. The frame had to be put
together. It had to be erected and guyed. The net had
to be put into place. If you never did this before, you
probably can't appreciate the time involved.

I have, and do, put up a similarly intricate netting system but it
doesn't take more than 50 minutes on the first tree to get my
timing and base-knowledge back. I quickly cut the time down per
tree (five trees) after that.

I did try it by myself one year... That's why I now bribe either
BIL for assistance.

I had a nice system though, using a vertical pole
extending above the tree top. On top of the pole
I had a horizontal 'X' crossbars with a wire around
the perimeter and plastic bottles at the ends to allow
the net to slip over it. Four guy wires held it up.

Why did you stop using this system? It actually sounds
like it would work a lot better than netting _and_ would
be much easier to put up and take down.

The additional benefits of covering the fruit to protect it
from insects was the determining factor. Squirrels
became less of a problem and insects more.

Ah. Yeah, shiny googas and plastic noise-makers don't seem to
bother anything from the insect world.

The Ranger