Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default Newer vs older engines

"Art" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:39:25 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

Do you think any of the new engines will stand up as well as the old

(60's /
70's) Kohlers and Craftsman (Tecumseh) ?

If you mean lawn mower engines, the answer is yes, if they are
Kawasakis or some of the Hondas.
I think the pro line of Toro has the Kawasakis this year.

Well now, if you compare today's Japanese engines with yesteryear's
American engines then I'd have to revise my answer and say yes. Many of
the OEM's are now offering Honda and Kawas just because so many
customers are demanding decent quality engines.

I agree. Got a 7 year old 5hp honda powered rotary that's never had an oil
change. It's cut grass in two countries and for the last two months has been
used to cut a 1 acre rough paddock (madness!) while I work out which tractor
to get. If it doesn't start first pull that means I forgot the choke. If I
remember the choke then it allways starts first pull. The mower has a dead
man handle so the engine cuts off every time I empty the grass box. That
means it's stopped and restarted about 30 times an hour. If it wasn't
reliable I'd have dumped it ages ago.