Old 01-07-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Too many seedlings

This Spring I planted lots of seeds gathered in the Autumn from our Virginia
creeper. I only thought a few would germinate so planted hundreds in a
couple of seed trays. Similar with Rosa Rugosa pips and some seeds donated
by our neighbour from one of his shrubs - I don't know what it is called but
the seed pods were very much like those on laburnum.

Yesterday I pricked out and potted 87 Rosa Rugosa seedlings which will
eventually make a nice hedge but 103 Virginia creepers have got me
pondering. I can probably use half a dozen around our old stone barn, but it
looks like all visitors will be given a gift of one whether they like them
or not! As for the 60 or so shrubs, I don't even know what they are called
but look like ending up with a new shrubbery.

Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to let
the seedlings die.

David.