Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Garden centre - Seed packets rant!

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/7/07 13:49, in article ,
"David
(Normandy)" wrote:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these
words:

..big snip

I often joke to Mrs that some garden centres need a big sign
saying "Dead
plants - Half price!"

I agree with you totally on that one!

However surely they should be 'free to a good home' !!! Afterall they
are not going to be able to sell them are they?

Beryl

Good point. I've never got enough plant pots. I wonder what happens
to dead
plants? Do they and the plastic pot end up in landfill? Perhaps a
nursery
will re-use the pots, but I doubt garden centres do.

David.

Plants go on a gigantic compost heap or bonfire and pots are re-used.
Don't

That's the right way to do it of course..

know about garden centres but I think plants and pots simply get dumped
together in a skip.

Another criminal waste
Beryl

There is a lot of it about. At our old house we splashed out and bought a
big 6 ring Smeg stainless steel cooker. It wasn't cheap. When it arrived it
had a small dent in the little door at the bottom that you keep oven trays
in. We complained of course and a replacement cooker arrived a few days
later. The delivery men said the slightly damaged cooker would just end up
in a skip and go for scrap, and nobody was allowed to buy it!

It is even difficult to get cardboard boxes from some supermarkets now, when
moving house they are very useful, but our local Kwik Save refused to let us
have any - now against company policy - they all have to be flattened and go
in the waste.

Somebody on this newsgroup recently said they'd asked workmen if he could
have some old paving slabs they were digging up outside his house and was
refused - unless he'd got a waste licence they had to go into land fill!

The world is going mad.

David.