Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Just harvested first of 3 potato buckets......

" Nel" wrote in message
..... and not a great success!!

According to the info that came with them (wife got them off a shopping
channel!) they were supposed to yield around 10lb, yet when we've weighed
them it's more like 2lb. We waited until it had flowered and the leaves
began changing colour, as instructed but the amount we've got is a major
disappointment.

We still have 2 tubs left and are wondering what to expect from them as
they are different varieties.

Any idea where we might have gone wrong?

None whatsoever. But I'll tell you how I got on with mine. Seed pots from
Dobies in big green plastic buckets, four to a bucket, chitted, in Wickes
general purpose compost (cheap!), fed occasionally with tomato feed or
miracle grow. Standing in full sun.

First the Maris Peer, emptied too early as soon as they flowered, lots of
small pots but very tasty, not a great yield, maybe 3 lb.
Then the Charlotte. I didn't see them flower but the leaves were covered in
brown spot and wilting so I emptied them. 7lb of fine yellow pots, variable
in size. Excellent.
Red Duke of York still to come, but they have had the tops damaged by the
gales last week so perhaps they had better be harvested soon.

The buckets don't have proper drainage holes so I found it quite hard to
guess how much water to give them. Also you can't dig up one plant to see if
the row is ready - it's all or nothing when harvesting. Other than that I
count them a modest success and will do it again. Lovely to gow in compost
because they only need a rinse under the tap and they are clean.

tim w