Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Garden centre - Seed packets rant!

On 1/7/07 14:48, in article , "Beryl
Harwood" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/7/07 13:49, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these
words:

..big snip

I often joke to Mrs that some garden centres need a big sign
saying "Dead
plants - Half price!"

I agree with you totally on that one!

However surely they should be 'free to a good home' !!! Afterall they
are not going to be able to sell them are they?

Beryl

Good point. I've never got enough plant pots. I wonder what happens
to dead
plants? Do they and the plastic pot end up in landfill? Perhaps a nursery
will re-use the pots, but I doubt garden centres do.

David.

Plants go on a gigantic compost heap or bonfire and pots are re-used. Don't

That's the right way to do it of course..

know about garden centres but I think plants and pots simply get dumped
together in a skip.

Another criminal waste
Beryl

There are a few garden centres in this area and one of our staff has a
partner working at one of them. So we know that plants which have nothing
wrong with them, other than one or two dead leaves or some slight browning
of the foliage, or the flowers have gone over are chucked in the skip.
The wastage is absolutely huge, taken overall. The staff aren't trained to
nurture them, re-pot them etc. It's rather akin to supermarkets taking only
100% perfect, shiny, washed fruit or veg.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk