Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default OT Is this a record?

On 1/7/07 17:15, in article
, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Depressing, isn't it? ;-(

Some years back my wife and went abroad at christmas instead of in the
summer. We went to the Canaries, sat on the beach and explored the island in
an open top jeep. Didn't heard a single Christmas song for the whole week.
Fantastic. Came back when christmas was all over feeling a million dollars -
much better than after a summer holiday. No presents to buy, no need to
entertain visitors, no bottles of booze with naff names. Highly recommended.

Believe me, I'm tempted. But only half of me is tempted. The rest of me
loves it and I know my husband would hate to be abroad at Christmas,
especially in a warm climate. We're probably too old and traditional and
besides, I've 'done' Christmas for everyone, in varying permutations, for
more than 20 years now so I'm in the groove of it!
We might be away this Christmas, staying in Jersey with my son but as
they're moving it may well be that the positions will be reversed and
they'll be with us!

According to one report in the UK we spend around £700 per family on
Christmas.

I'm sure we do - it's madness. But the thing I really, really do object
to is this awful early and ever earlier catalogue thing. Last year, I was
asked to choose our Christmas cards in July (IIRC) by a company that acts
for a lot of charities.

According to http://www.directline-holidays.co.uk/ Two people can fly to the
canaries for a week self catering over Christmas 2007/8 for £816 (plus food
obviously).

I know, I know......

--
Sacha