Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Too many seedlings

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
This Spring I planted lots of seeds gathered in the Autumn from our
Virginia creeper. I only thought a few would germinate so planted hundreds
in a couple of seed trays. Similar with Rosa Rugosa pips and some seeds
donated by our neighbour from one of his shrubs - I don't know what it is
called but the seed pods were very much like those on laburnum.

Yesterday I pricked out and potted 87 Rosa Rugosa seedlings which will
eventually make a nice hedge but 103 Virginia creepers have got me
pondering. I can probably use half a dozen around our old stone barn, but
it looks like all visitors will be given a gift of one whether they like
them or not! As for the 60 or so shrubs, I don't even know what they are
called but look like ending up with a new shrubbery.

Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to
let the seedlings die.

David.

I have that problem too David, but usually manage to give mine away to
family and friends....maybe you could put them outside on a table with a
sign "free plants"
Jenny