Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Courgettes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1i0l1ap.1xdilogtn5dzdN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
I purchased two small courgette plants from my local garden centre back
in March/April. One was the variety "Ambassador" a F1 hybrid that seems
to be well recommended in the gardening web sites. It has been a
conspicuous failure. Every fruit so far has rotted off before it gets
to a size worth picking. The other, alas I don't know the variety as
I've lost the plant label has been wonderful. A very heavy and healthy
cropper. This plant started producing fruits at the start of May. But
alas, I don't know its name or variety. Oh well, maybe blind chance
will do the same next year.

Courgettes are always a bit iffy. Sometimes the crop is far too big for
normal people to use. The recent weather hasn't done them any favours ...

Mary

I always have one extreme or the other. Enough courgettes to feed a small
town or none. Usually a few are lost to the end rot so I take care when
watering not to get any on the flowers, but sometimes every plant gets what
I think is some form of mosaic virus and they just stop growing full stop,
plants and courgettes both. Typically if one plant get it they all do even
if the affected plant is pulled up and destroyed.

David.