Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Potato question

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

I forgot to pay our phone bill last week and they turned the phone
off. I was not amused, especially since I was on the road, to go talk
to our Governor. (It's embarassing to be visiting with the Gov and
not even be able to phone home. What a meatball, huh?)

You can't set it up where your bills are automatically paid? A friend does
this online through her bank.

Naw. We're ranchers; we don't have a steady income. Sometimes money
dribbles in. Other times it pours in. Just depends on the season
and how much "off the ranch" work we pick up during slow times.

I'm selling composted cow manure right now, to bridge us over a lean
month. (Okay, a lean couple of months.) And I'm growing cut flowers
for farmers market sales. Our spring was really cold, so things are
just starting to perk along now. We're three weeks behind our normal
growing season this year.

If one of us would quit being volunteer board members on ag and
conservation boards, we'd have enough money. The SO does Conservation
work; I do Ag work. (That way, someone is always home to feed the cows
and do calving season. Our board meetings never happen at the same time.)

I'm whining. Sorry... *blush*

On gardening, we built a new little "pocket" greenhouse the other day,
because my laying hens are using my old greenhouse. We filled the bins
in the new one with 1/2 30-year old composted cow poop and 1/2 with soil
from under alders (full of earthworms!). The 'mater plants are putting
on a couple of inches of new growth a day and blooming like crazy. All
of the 'mater varieties are Russian OP plants (Sasha's Altai, Galina's,
Aurora, etc.) and one damned Sweet 100, because I love those things.

For people who don't have any money, we live pretty good : )

Jan