Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com George.com is offline

Default Mulching: the great con

"Garden Guy" wrote in message
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

(lots of crap)

Listen shit-head.

I know my own turf, soil and weather conditions.

I know my own turf, soil and wather conditions. Mulching works well for me.

The best turf comes from bagging the clippings.

my turf is mulched and looks fine, best it has looked in the 4 years I have
been tending it. Moreover municipal playing fields & school playing fields
are all mulched. No massive ctahcer towed behind a tractor to collect it all
up.

You're ****ing stupid if you think that crass clippings aren't
collected for use in municple compost because of the chemicals that
people *might* put on it (those chemicals have long since degraded and
broken down before the grass is cut and will further degrade when
composted).

grass clippings are accepted here for composting. Question is why, why
remove the nutrients from the soil and then have to replace them. Mulch and
they stay in situ.

The stubble left after food crops are harvested are turned back under
the soil. You can't do that for grass clipping left on the lawn (but
that's what really needs to be done if you are to recycle any
nutrients they have).

a very good soil food web will take care of most of that problem. Worms are
very useful things to have in your lawn.

And, you disagree with that? Are you saying that grass
clippings have no nutritional value to turf?

What ever value they have, it does not outweigh the negative aspects
of leaving them on the grass, and can easily be replicated by a single
application per season of a liquid or granular fertilizer.

nah, much better to leave them where they are, on the lawn. Fk hauling a
catcher all over the place or being even more stupid and piling them in a
bag for someone to collect and cart off. Roftl, that is just dumb.

And what ever nutritional value crass clippings are purported to have,
it's apparently not enough to be attractive or desirable for municiple
composting operations, where grass clippings are avoided through the
application of a $1 a bag tipping fee, even though given their massive
stocks of other yard waste it would be easy to incorporate the grass
into that material stream where the grass would be evenly distributed
and anerobic decay would be prevented.

gras clippings are accepted here for composting.

rob