Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Chemlawn *******s

On 7/2/07 9:41 AM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Pennyaline wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

*SNIP*
Here's one for you:

we own some land outside of a town near here. 20+ acres of pasture land,
currently occupied by 9 horses and 5 cows. NC DOT recently decided that
they want to take our pasture and run a *new* ditch thru it. The overflow
from an area pond runs thru the pasture in a little stream and now they
want to re-route it. We have been informed by local government, that they
are taking a little over 5 acres for this project, right down the middle
of the pasture, digging a trench, and lining it with landscaping rocks.
Do you know what effect that the rocks will have on the horses feet?!?
The way they want to fix it will almost eliminate any water flow thru the
pasture, thus having a bad effect on the cows. For those who aren't
ranchers on the group, the water is vital to the cows in other ways than
for drinking. Cows don't sweat, so they stand in the water to cool
themselves. The township and the county have already approved this
project. So how can we fight this one? Oh, and during this process, we
are *required* to remove all animals from the pasture, so as the machinery
won't scare them and make them *wild*. They *assure* us that we will be
paid for the acreage they take, as soon as the project is complete. Like
we had it for sale before hand or something............Everything I've
tried to do to prevent this, has turned into dead-ends. Frustrating! UGH!

What does your lawyer say about this? And, did you attend any town meetings
where this could have been discussed?

Ha, town meetings? let me tell you where those got me - NO WHERE! My
uncle is the town manager, his wife is the town secretary and thinks she
runs the whole town! They are upset that grandpa left the cows to me &
my kids, and not them..........you can guess the rest.

So far, we are having trouble finding a local lawyer who hasn't been in
my "aunt's" back pocket so to speak.

However, OTOH, I do have several circuit court judges who are my
friends, one of which is going over our case now. Hopefully, he can
refer us to someone who will take the case, or work on it himself.......

In the meantime, lots of prayer, looking for another pasture that we
might can rent for awhile, and trying to get some of the neighbors
around the pasture involved.

You don't think this has "politics" involved? Family politics are the worst
and most deadly form.