Old 02-07-2007, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default String trimmer string breaks too often

Robert Reznikoff wrote:
I've read previous advice about using only the tip end of the string for
trimming. I try to do that, but most of my trimming are weeds that grow
next to a fence. I have gone from a .80 string to 1.15 string with no better
results. Is there a more pliable string that doesn't break so easily. I
seem to spend more time replacing the string than I do trimming!

That would be .080 to .115 sizes. Those numbers are decimal inches.

You might try soaking the line in water for 24 hours or so. The
copolymers used in trimmer line have a high water content and as the
line dries it will become more brittle. Better quality line should fray
and split at the ends instead of breaking off in pieces.

--
Art