Old 31-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Ill-looking Osteospermum

"Olivier.Lepetit" wrote in
:

Emrys,

Thanks for the help, I shall try to do just that ! You are correct
about the species, it is exactly that one. Spot on !

I have lots of this too: it grows like a weed for me! If you only removed
the grass late last year it may be that the plant hasn't had a proper
chance to recover yet.

I second Emry's suggestion that you take some rooted cuttings: it grows
with amazing ease from these, and seems to appreciate being moved.

I had to hack a lot of mine back that had grown out onto the drive: I
think it must have been about this time last year. Noticing there were
some roots on the traily bits I'd removed, I shoved them into a spare patch
of 'layered' bed. They were in full bloom by the end of the summer and
very healthy plants too.

(Layered bed - I piled weeds on a bit of lawn. Then I covered in
newspaper, then another layer of hedge cuttings, I think, then newspaper
again and a little bit of compost on the top to hold the paper down and
make it look like soil. The osteospermums with their shallow roots love
it!)

Victoria