Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Default Blueberry plants

George Shirley expounded:

Ann wrote:
Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.

They do need a soil that has a pH around 4.5-5.0 though to really
thrive. Our soil is close to neutral so I have to amend it annually to
drop the pH.

Yes, they do. Our home up in Maine is in a pine barren, the land is
covered naturally in lowbush blueberries. We've also got a few
highbush blueberries, too, someone planted in the past. I've never
measured the pH of the soil up there, but I'm sure it's around 4.5.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked