Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Jones Alan Jones is offline

Default Hampton Court Travel advice please

John T wrote:
We are going to Hampton Court tomorrow for the first time. Two couples
travelling from the Midlands.

I have been advised to take the train and think that is the best
option. Our friends disagree and wish to drive, despite warnings of
congestion.
any unbiased views please

I used to live a couple of miles from the Palace, and as a Show visitor was
therefore able to drive there very early - long before the Show entrance
opened. Even so, the parking areas were already half-full and the roads
congested. Bear in mind that the approaches (just ordinary local roads, not
dual carriageways or such) are very busy even on ordinary days, with traffic
to and from Kingston-upon-Thames sometimes brought to a halt by bottle-necks
miles from the Palace. So, depending on how many changes you need to make by
train, and how early you would be able to set out if driving, I suppose
train might be the the wiser option.

The Show is set out very spaciously on an enormous site (Chelsea would be
lost inside it!) so wear comfortable shoes . . .

Alan Jones