Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening
Jupiter Jupiter is offline

Default Buddleja davidii alba shock colour change

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:19:30 +0100, "Anthony Stokes"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message
I'd have a close look around the base of the shrub to make sure that the
shoots with the mauve flowers are actually coming from the main
shrub.

Yes , they are. The branches some carrying white and some carrying mauve
flowers are high in the air and all growing from the same 'trunks' of the
same buddleja.
It's an interesting and pretty affect that I had not seen before on Buddleja
davidii.

Anthony

I think your Buddleia is developing reversion back to the native
stock. Are the shoots carrying the mauve flowers growing more
vigorously than the others? A way of delaying this is to cut out the
mauve flower shoots. You would lose the pretty effect of the 2
colours on the same shrub but delay the inevitable eventual
progression to all mauve.