Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Toadstalls in lawn

On 4/7/07 09:38, in article
, "CWatters"
wrote:

"PigPOg" wrote in message
Mow them down. The toadstools are the fruiting bodies of the fungus
which spreads by way of tiny threads (mycelium) in the soil. They
only fruit in the right conditions (i.e. plenty of rain) and in drier
conditions you probably won't see them at all. Almost impossible to
get rid of.

That's a nice easy solution! I've been reluctant to mow the lawn until
I received advice - just in case I made the problem worse.

Thanks for the help Jupiter.
Simon

I have exactly the same. It's got worse in the recent wet weather.

I suspect that the turf companies grow the turf on sterilised ex mushroom
compost to reduce soil loss. Looks like the sterilisation process isn't
perfect.

It might depend, too, on whether your houses were built on fields used for
grazing. In one house I used to have, we had such a field and a farmer
grazed his cows over it, thus fertilising it regularly. One autumn we had
the most enormous and continuing crop of mushrooms I've ever seen. It
never happened again.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk