Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Thistletoes Thistletoes is offline

Default Aussie tree cuttings

Hello. I live on a ranch in an area of northern Idaho mountains and
we get winters with heavy snow and temperature that can drop to the
MINUS teens. I think we are zone 4.

My question concerns some cuttings I've rooted just this May from an
Aussie tree which is a hybrid willow. I am sure you've seen them
advertised on the web. We have one actively growing tree and want to
add several more as a screen. I have 16 of them rooted and growing
well in 1 and 1.5 quart containers. I think they are too young to
plant this fall as we have wild grasses in the area to be planted,
rocky, clay soil on a sloping bank along a road. How can I best
winter these young trees over and when would be best to plant them
next year? Spring or fall? I have an unheated greenhouse that is a
shack at best. I do have an insulated out building without windows.

Thanks for any advice,
Deb