Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Plague of snails.

"Dick Chambers" wrote in message
I have lived in the same house in Leeds for the last 33 years. During the
first 27 (approximately) of these years, I hardly ever saw a snail,
although
I did have a large number of slugs. During the last 6 (approx) years,
there
has been a dramatic increase in the number of snails. On a wet evening
after
dark, if I go to post a letter in the local mail box, my feet
inadvertently
crunch a snail every tenth step, on average. I have just removed and
killed
about 50 of them from my bed of petunias, the bed being a mere 5 square
metres in area. The snails are thick on the ground. It ihas reached the
point where I would describe it as a plague.

Is this problem local to Leeds, or has there been the same problem
throughout the UK? What has caused the sudden increase in their
population?

I do not accept "global warming" as an answer -- far too easy, facile, and
probably wrong. With global warming, Leeds nowadays has the same climate
as
Berkshire did 35 years ago when I lived there. Berkshire in 1972 did not
have the plague of snails I am experiencing here in Leeds in 2007.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

To start with Richard don't be a mug and get sucked in on this 'Global
warming' thing. Like other crazes such as the Whip and Top, Hoola Hoop and
Rubicks Cube and buzz words of the day, it will pass and it will be another
fad, again the Government will find a way of making money out of it. This
Summer is very much like 1951. Weather comes. Weather goes. We cannot change
it we get what we get and anybody who thinks man can change this earth is
off his rocker. Have you seen the speeded up animated picture of a Motorway
which has been closed and left to nature for about 250 years I think it is?

That has dealt with the weather and global warming, as far as Snails are
concerned, lack of Thrushes, the wet weather we have had presented to us
this year, (wasn't into snail counting in 1951) and yes we have thousands on
the Isle of Wight.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk