Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Blueberry plants

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.

I haven't *seen* a pine barren, but I read John McPhee's
book about the NJ Pine Barrens... (Everything he writes
is good, btw.)

We have a few wild blues growing around the ranch. Mostly,
the bears beat me to the berries, and mostly, I'm willing
to let them.

We have lots of wild highbush cranberries and lots of
wild and tame currants here.

Jan