Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_4_] cloud dreamer[_4_] is offline

Default Protecting blueberries from birds

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:
What's the best way to protect blueberries from birds?. Bird netting gets
all tangled on the bushes, is there a better way. My cat is doing his
part but he can't be there 24/7, is there something else that might scare
them away?

Depending on the size of the berry bushes and the plot, you could
consider PVC tubing to hold the netting above the bushes. It wouldn't
work in all plots or with all types of blueberry bushes, but it might
for yours. I cover my strawberries with netting under a tubing
superstructure. The patch is 4' wide and 16 feet long and the bushes are
about the size of the bushes on the acres of blueberries that surround me.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Blueberry Infested Far East

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.