Old 31-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Tim Worstall

Default Farmed Salmon!

(Paul Farrar) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Tim Worstall wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...
In article ,
writes:

Really ? Learn something new every day.
I thought the Norwegian and Scottish farmers used Atlantic Salmon.

The pen and net salmon are Atlantic salmon. Pacific salmon are
anadromous

I had to look this word up......seems to mean "Ascending rivers from
the sea, at certain seasons, for breeding, as the salmon, shad, etc."

As far as I know that is true of both Atlantic and Pacific salmon.

Tim Worstall

It is, in general. There are some (natural) landlocked populations.
As far as I know, there are no purely seagoing ones. Salmon and
trout lay eggs in nests in gravel beds in rivers. Some trouts have
anadromous populations. Atlantic salmon and brown trout are the
same genus (Salmo). Pen-raised salmon are obviously not anadromous,
but not by choice. I don't know if pen-raised Atlantic salmon
which escaped in the Pacific would establish wild populations.
They probably could not breed with the Pacific salmon, which belong
to different genuses, but they could conceivably become an exotic
pest species.

Are Atlantic salmon extinct in Portugal?

Interesting question. We certainly see wild salmon in supermarkets and
fish counters, but that proves little. I´ve also seen them in more
local fish markets, but again that doesn´t mean that they are from a
local river....wholesalers can bring them in. I wouldn´t really expect
to see them in the Tagus anyway. But perhaps in the Northern rivers ?
Galicia certainly has salmon runs and the two areas are about as
different as Washington State and BC.

Tim Worstall

Paul Farrar