Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Lantana blackened leaves

In article ,
"betsyb" wrote:

Sue, I also live in NJ. Can that plant swim? I would pull it out, get it new
dirt and rinse off the old soil and repot it of if that is a perennial,
plant it and water less. Maybe someone else has better ideas. Let us know
how it's doing in a week or so.

I agree with this advice. Lantanas like well-drained soil and prefer to
dry out a bit between waterings. If, when you repot the plant, you find
that it is rootbound, make a few deep cuts in the root ball with a sharp
knife before replanting in a good potting mix. Easy on the water until
it gets hot and sunny. Lantanas are resilient and I'll bet yours will
recover and start growing quickly in a few weeks. I have a few lantanas
in pots and bring them indoors for the winter where they do surprisingly
well in a sunny window. My favorite cultivar is 'Dallas Red'.

Some lantana cultivars are self-sterile and will bloom freely all season
without deadheading. If you find yours producing berries, regular
removal of the spent blossoms before they go to seed will keep your
plant in bloom continuously.

One thing to keep in mind when growing lantanas is that many plants do
not tolerate being planted close to them very well due to plant growth
inhibitors released into the soil.