Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikesndbs Mikesndbs is offline

Default Xmas potatoes

Hi Mike,
I've never tried this myself, but a search on Google with:
new potatoes christmas OR xmas
should bring up some info :~)
Jenny

Thanks Jenny

You were right!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/ma...s_dinne r.php

snip
There is a lot of media attention on 'growing your own new potatoes
for Christmas'. This is difficult in the truest sense of the word.
Certainly the specially cold stored, short dormancy tubers
(Carlingford, Maris Peer, Nicola) once delivered from Late July soon
spring to life once planted up in warm soils or in containers. No need
to chit them, just plant them and watch them develop. Planting should
be completed by mid August outdoors, or end of August in a tunnel or
greenhouse. Later plantings are more likely to fail. Blight is the
serious scourge outdoors, and soil pests can be come more prevalent as
Autumn progresses. Tubers form quickly and golf ball sized tubers can
be ready in 11 weeks, which is nowhere near Christmas. Usual procedure
is to cut back the haulms and leave the tubers in the ground until
required, then you can dig a few fresh 'new potatoes' for Christmas to
go with your roasted ones. end

I am keen to try this and might get a small polytunnel as well!
Only trouble is the places I have looked are out of stock of the
required seeds.
Do you think I could just go to my local Tesco and by some candidates?

Cheers

Mike