Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
A. Paul Ing A. Paul Ing is offline

Default Fry........

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:00:45 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
m...
snip

I'm going to try and avoid shipping at all costs. I'm just not set up for
it and I'm already feeling overwhelmed taking care of all these fish. I just
noticed there are about 50 more new fry in one of the holding tanks behind
the house. What I believed to be two females was a pair. It's starting to
become a full time job instead of a pleasurable hobby now that this area is
getting saturated. The original guy who was going to take them all had to
back down because he wasn't selling what he already had as fast as he
expected. I was lucky the two other stores took most, but not all of them.
In the past few years the stores snapped them up as fast as I had them up to
size (3 to 5"). And it was like everyone I knew had a cousin or brother
who wanted to buy a few pond fish from us. But it seems that now everyone
else is having a koi baby-boom and the market will only absorb so many. If
shipping is the only answer I think I have to start looking to sell or give
away the adults.....

BTW. I was stiffed twice on pond plants I sent to people I met on this NG
years ago. Of three boxes I sent, only one person paid me for S&H - so I
stopped shipping plants.

I can see the shying away from shipping fish if piossible. So, with
that in mind, I thiink its itme to break out the shovels ;-) for some
more ponds!

I have shipped a heap of plants already, using those foam boxes for
themost part or wet packed newspaper and the USPS Priority mail boxes.
Have yet to be stiffed,....some were slow to pay or send the trade
plants, but eventually they all came through.I bet I shipped 50+
pounds of parrots feather and probablyt as much duckweed......just
last year......This year however I think I pretty well have 99.99% of
my parrots feather under control.....and its down to a very very small
patch of approx 2 feet by 2 feet square

How about a predator fish, that would help with spawns such. HOwever
with the fry size now it would have ot be a sizeable
fish.......however just spawned fry orfs or even a single warmouth or
bream would do wonders....

Regards